Stages Theatre Company is proud to announce the First Job in the Arts Apprenticeship, an exciting program specifically geared toward emerging artists ages 15-19, (high school students or graduates taking a gap year) who have an interest and desire to explore pathways to careers in professional theater on all sides of the stage. STC will pair you with a professional theatre artist in your chosen area to complete a 30+ hour customized apprenticeship over 8-10 weeks that gives you real-world experience, tangible on-the-job training, and connections to the professional theatre world outside of high school. First Job in the Arts staff will work to bridge the gap between academic theatre and creating a viable, professional career in theatre or a non-profit setting. Completion of this program will earn the apprentice a PAID stipend of $400.
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2018 FIRST JOB IN THE ARTS program.
FIRST JOB IN THE ARTS at Stages Theatre Company
FIRST JOB APPRENTICESHIPS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Directing (filled)
- Stage Management
- Theatre Production
- Marketing / PR / Graphic Design
Participating in First Job in the Arts will allow the qualified student the opportunity to:
- Gain real-world work experience with an individually customized apprenticeship geared to the student’s particular area of interest or desired exploration.
- Enhance your resume and earn a letter of reference from your STC mentor.
- Broaden your theatre experiences and applicable real world skills and enhance your hire ability in numerous administrative, support and artistic areas.
- Become more independent and self-confident while learning how to balance work and fun
The Responsibilities and Perks of being a First Job Apprentice:
- All FJA Apprentices are mentored for at least 30 hours over 6-10 weeks. These hours are decided upon and delineated by the FJA Apprentice, their STC mentor, and Nikki Swoboda (Education Director) or Sandy Boren-Barrett (Artistic Director). After learning about who you are and what you want to learn during your apprenticeship, we will create a schedule that includes rehearsal, production meetings, classes, and intensive time with your mentor. Our guarantee to each apprentice is that you will get to experience your focus from all perspectives. For instance, a Design FJA apprentice won’t just do some drawings; they will attend production meetings, work on creating the aesthetic world alongside their mentor, do some shop time, attend a designer run, communicate with the design team, see the final product at the opening of the show, and even attend the opening night party as a team member. Each focus has a different progression to meet the needs of the specific apprentice and their mentor.
- All FJA Apprentices attend at least one STC show (complimentary tickets)
- All FJA Apprentices attend at least one professional production at one of the major theatre companies in the Twin Cities (complimentary tickets and transportation coordination)
- All FJA Apprentices meet together and attend a master class on cutting-edge technical advancements in theatre
- FJA Apprentices and STC Education Director find a few coordinating times to meet as a cohort to share findings, feelings, and information on what they are learning and how they are developing as artists…and eat some snacks.
- The FJA co-hort will attend two (2) professional theatre productions in the Twin Cities.
Who’s Eligible: Students ages 15-19 with a demonstrated interest in theatre arts and an ability to work independently in a professional theater environment. Students must be able to arrange transportation (public transit assistance is available) No college students.
How many positions are available? STC will be awarding ten (15) First Job in the Arts Apprenticeships for the 2016-17 season. All apprenticeships must be completed by August 31, 2017.
How to Apply to become a Stages Theatre Company – First Job Apprentice:
- Complete the Online Application Form (below)
- Write a short Essay (in the form below) Provide a statement describing what about the First Job experience you would find most beneficial and why you would want to participate? Describe why you would make a good First Job in the Arts apprentice and how it fits into your future plans. Full sentences with concise idea please. You will submit this essay in the online application.
- Submit a resume or portfolio (if you have one, not required for consideration) to STC Artistic Director and Education Director
- Be Interviewed. You will be invited to participate in an interview with the STC Artistic Director or Education Director about your interest and candidacy in this program.
*Program Dates : Jan. 1-August 31, 2018
First Job in the Arts is made possible by a generous grant from the Best Buy Foundation and RBC Wealth Management.