Internships at Stages Theatre Company
The job of an intern is to facilitate the success of each young actor and assist the needs of each teaching artist. During Summer Theatre Workshop (STW18), we are proud to use high school and college students who have a passion and focus on theatre to help all classrooms of theatre workshop for ages 4-17.
Every intern is paid $10-$12/hour dependent on experience and responsibility level.
4-6 year old workshops at Hopkins Center for the Arts (open to high school students)
June 18-Aug 17, 2018
- 9:30am-12noon (morning session)
- 9:30am-1pm (morning session + lunch hour care)
- 12noon-3:30pm (lunch hour care + afternoon session)
- 1pm-3:30pm (afternoon session)
7-17 year old workshops at Armstrong High School (open to college students-must be over 18 years old )
June 18-Aug 10 (off July 2-6)
- 7:30am-3:30pm (morning care + full day session)
- 8:00am-4pm (extended day overlap + full day session)
- 8:30am-4:30pm (afternoon care + full day session)
7-13 year old workshops at Satellite STW (open to college students-must be over 18 years old )
- June 25-29, 7:30am-4:30pm at Huge Theater in South Minneapolis
- July 9-13, 7:30am-4:30pm at North Hennepin Community College
- July 16-20, 7:30am-4:30pm at North Hennepin Community College
Benefits of this internship—
- Gain real-world work experience in theatre
- Enhance your resume with hands-on experience in the arts
- Learn tools and techniques in arts education from professional teaching arts
- Broaden your theatre abilities (teach, act, write, assistant direct) and make yourself more hirable
- Become more independent and self-confident while learning how to transition to leadership roles
- A paid stipend for your work, per session.
The expectations of an intern—
- Interns are responsible for the physical and emotional safety of each young actor in their class and for supporting the teaching artist to lead class daily.
- Interns handle signing in and out every student every morning and handing out nametags.
- Interns model acting exercises throughout class so that the young actors know it is okay to play.
- Interns assist in making the weekly craft as determined by the lead teaching artist.
- Interns gather and organize Emergency Contact forms for every student.
- Interns perform on stage with their class during the 4-6 year old showcases.
- Interns communicate with the teaching artist and admin any concerns they have for specific students or any situation that they feel might need to be handled.
- Interns are responsible for leading activities for extended care before and after workshop for full day sessions and over the lunch hour in half day sessions.
- Interns act as an ambassador for Stages Theatre Company at all times at any STW site.
Now that you have all of the information (and if you’re still interested), this is what we need from you!
The deadline to apply for 2018 internships has passed. Please check back in early 2019 for future internships. All 2018 applications will be processed the first week of March with offers being sent out ASAP after that date.
Any additional questions, please contact Education Director Nikki Swoboda