First Job in the Arts
The application deadline has passed. Applicants will be contacted shortly.
Stages Theatre Company is proud to announce the First Job in the Arts Apprenticeship, an exciting program specifically geared toward emerging artists ages 15-19, (high school students or graduates taking a gap year) who have an interest and desire to explore pathways to careers in professional theater on all sides of the stage. STC will pair you with a professional theatre artist in your chosen area to complete a 30+ hour customized apprenticeship over 8-10 weeks that gives you real-world experience, tangible on-the-job training, and connections to the professional theatre world outside of high school. First Job in the Arts staff will work to bridge the gap between academic theatre and creating a viable, professional career in theatre or a non-profit setting. Completion of this program will earn the apprentice a PAID stipend of $400.
FIRST JOB APPRENTICESHIPS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Stage Management
- Design: Set, Costume, Prop, Sound, Lighting
- Marketing / PR / Social Media
Participating in First Job in the Arts will allow the qualified student the opportunity to:
- Gain real-world work experience with an individually customized apprenticeship geared to the student’s particular area of interest or desired exploration.
- Enhance your resume and earn a letter of reference from your STC mentor.
- Broaden your theatre experiences and applicable real world skills and enhance your hire ability in numerous administrative, support and artistic areas.
- Become more independent and self-confident while learning how to balance work and fun
The Responsibilities and Perks of being a First Job Apprentice:
- All FJA Apprentices are mentored for at least 30 hours over 6-10 weeks. These hours are decided upon by the FJA Apprentice, their STC mentor, and Melanie Salmon-Peterson (Production Manager) or Sandy Boren-Barrett (Artistic Director). After learning about who you are and what you want to learn during your apprenticeship, we will create a schedule that includes rehearsal, production meetings, classes, and intensive time with your mentor. Our guarantee to each apprentice is that you will get to experience your focus from all perspectives. For instance, a Design FJA apprentice will attend production meetings, work on creating the aesthetic world alongside their mentor, do some shop time, attend a designer run, communicate with the design team, see the final product at the opening of the show, and even attend the opening night party as a team member. Each focus has a different progression to meet the needs of the specific apprentice and their mentor.
- All FJA Apprentices attend at least one STC show (complimentary tickets)
- FJA Apprentices and mentors will meet as a cohort to share information.
Who’s Eligible: Students ages 15-19 with a demonstrated interest in theatre arts and an ability to work independently in a professional theater environment. Students must be able to arrange transportation (public transit assistance is available) No college students.
How many positions are available? STC will be awarding First Job in the Arts Apprenticeships for the 2019-20 season. All apprenticeships must be completed by August 31, 2020.
How to Apply to become a Stages Theatre Company – First Job Apprentice:
We will begin taking applications for 2019/2020 Internships in Mid-October. Check back soon.
Complete the Online Application Form
Submit a resume or portfolio. Although a resume or portfolio is not required, it can enhance your application. Please upload your supporting documents (as a PDF) within the application below.
Be Interviewed. You will be invited to participate in an interview with the STC Artistic Director or Melanie Salmon-Peterson (Production Manager) about your interest and candidacy in this program.
*Program Dates : November 1, 2019 – August 31, 2020
First Job in the Arts is made possible by generous support from: